The original Hall was built in 1922 as a community effort to memorialise those who served, and who ended their lives, in what was then known as the Great War. Sadly, this became known as the First World War, 1914-1918, and was followed by World War II, 1939-1945. The names of all the men from Te Puna who went to both wars are listed on the granite plaques mounted in the foyer. Many of their families live in Te Puna today. The land for the first Hall was donated to the district by the Armstrong family and the Hall itself was built by master builder David Borell, assisted by volunteers from the area who donated labour and materials. A government grant for war memorials that were also community assets was also a big help. The Hall was opened in an important ceremony on 22 November 1922 with the plaques being unveiled by Mrs Tangitu and Mrs Armstrong. The present Hall is sited as close as possible to that of the old Hall, which was taken down to make way for a roundabout to replace a dangerous intersection on State Highway Two.
News Article Blessing